Does anyone need a radio?

 It's 2023! In almost every room in my house I have an Amazon device that can turn on lights, set timers, and, AND stream music!

In my pocket is a cell phone, that besides making calls, can send messages, emails, serve as an emergency light, a camera, and AND stream music. 

When I'm in my car, I tend to connect the phone to the car radio and stream music from the phone to the car radio. I sometimes also connect the phone to one of the Amazon devices and stream music from one app and listen to it via the Amazon device. 

Today, in 2023, does anyone NEED a radio? Even if you want to listen to a "traditional" radio station you usually have the ability to stream your local FM (or AM?) station on your streaming devices. 

Yet, I frequently find myself ooo-and aah-ing over different radios that I see when surfing Amazon or some other online site. I still try to convince myself that having a pocket radio in the kitchen drawer for emergencies is a MUST and that having some nifty looking table radio would somehow make music sound better, or NPR more interesting!

And the fact is, I do have a handful of radios in the house! I have a large "portable" that I bought years ago just to listen to ballgames outside my local area! I have a portable that has been delegated to the bin full of camping gear, another that looks like it came right out of 1960, but mostly serves as decoration, along with a few others. I even bought a small inexpensive model that can be used as a Bluetooth speaker just because I liked the look. I mean I HAVE plenty of Bluetooth speakers.

I would guess that today, for a great many people, radio is really not relevant. They are consuming their music and news from streaming services. 

But, radio should still have a place. In an emergency, when the internet fails, and cell service is down, it's radio that is still there able to keep you up to date on the news and weather. 

It's such an affordable means of entertainment and communication. There is no need of a monthly subscription, no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth needed, and almost anyone can afford at least a basic radio.

Maybe it's because it's so available to everyone is the biggest reason we continue to need radios. 






Comments

Popular Posts