Are Cheap Dishes Better?

I guess I just don't get the point of expensive dishes!

I mean, sure, people like to have fancy dishes for entertaining, or for the holidays. I suppose if the design is really important to you it might be worth spending more. Or perhaps you can make an argument about quality, better materials, less blemishes. 

But, I have bought relatively inexpensive dish sets over the years and had them forever. I mean really like had them for years and years. 

They seemed to hold food just as well as more expensive plates and I've seen plenty of more expensive plates, break, chip, and shatter.

So what's the difference? 

So, the other day I bought myself a Fiestaware coffee cup (I swear this will tie in) and there is so much about Fiestaware that appeals to me. The brand has an interesting history, it's iconic, and trendy, yet different all at the same time. One thing it isn't is cheap. The coffee cup itself wasn't too bad, but if you wanted to buy a dinnerware set, you're looking at around $130 dollars. 

I'm not sure about you, but to me that is pretty expensive. 

The dish set I have cost me like $11 bucks at Walmart. It's pretty basic. It's white, 4 plates, for bowls, 4 salad plates. 

Other than the fact that I would probably serve salad in the bowl and dessert on the salad plate, I have no complaints. 

At this point I have had it over a year, and while putting some dishes away I managed to bang two bowls together and chip one! (Someone isn't getting salad!)

I threw the bowl away. I have in the past kept plates and bowls with small chips 'in service'. You know, 'the chip isn't that bad' sort of thing. I know others who have done the same. Because usually to throw away a bowl or dish means you now have an odd number of whatever. People end up buying a new set, usually in a new pattern and now you have 3 of this plate, 4 of that one sitting in the cupboard. Or, they give away or yard sale the old set. Maybe if you're lucky you find someone selling their old set that matches YOUR dishes.. and now you end up with some spares? 

Anyway, the set I bought at WalMart is something they also sell piece by piece and have for years. I think a new bowl may cost me $1. And there is a good chance if I break another piece a year or so from now I still might be able to replace it. 

Now, other dish sets can be bought piecemeal too, like Fiestaware, BUT, a replacement bowl there probably costs the same as my entire set! Also, Fiestaware, like a lot of companies, change colors and patterns. So, what you buy today may not be available a year or so from now. That could happen with my Wally World set too but it only cost me $11 bucks and doesn't seem like such an investment. And this really makes me wonder if having cheaper dishes might not be better? 

Maybe someday I will buy an expensive set of dishes and write another blog post about the virtues of investing in good dinnerware, but I've never been impressed by 'fine china' on someone's table, I appreciate good food, and even more good company.


Comments

Popular Posts