The 1912 Fannie Farmer Potato Cake

 A chocolate POTATO cake from 1912!

I write that way because it mimics the way the guy in the TikTok video SHOUTS it.
And in the next 60 seconds, with all the enthusiasm of an EIGHT year old he whips up this cake and declares it to a winner!
There is also another YouTube cook that I follow, who in much more subdued tones also claims this to be a really good cake.
So, I filed it away in the back of my head and decided to make this last Thursday for my "Dinner with Dad", and it was.... decidedly okay.
The interesting thing is this comes from the Fannie Farmers cookbook (from 1912) and is called a Caramel Potato Cake, but there is no caramel in the cake itself and the recipe directs you to another page for the frosting, which turns out to be a chocolate fudge frosting BUT.. there is a caramel frosting on the next page. Both people I have watched make this cake have decided that the mistake is in the name of the cake caramel vs. chocolate and not in the page number directing them to the caramel frosting.
I find it odd neither decided to give this a try with the caramel frosting, and now that I have made it feel it would probably be better with a caramel frosting!




Comments

Popular Posts