When you can, if you can, sometimes you've got to splurge!

So, I just mentioned a Fiestaware coffee mug that I bought in my last post, where I vented about expensive dinnerware. And as a rule of thumb I guess I am cheap, or frugal, or just don't like spending more than I have to. 

But at the same time, I think no matter where you are fiscally/financially in your life there are times when you just have to splurge on yourself. At least a little. 

The Fiestaware mug is a good case in point. I think buying a whole set of Fiestaware is too expensive for me. There are just better ways I could and should spend my money. Yet, every morning when I have coffee I take a little joy in the face that I own a piece of something iconic and something I admire. 

Now, spending $11 on a coffee cup is a pretty inexpensive splurge but it's a splurge all the same and one that elevates my morning!

The same could be said of the Yeti tumbler I own, which was given to me, but which I love owning because, to me, it has a deserved reputation for quality and performance. I have cheaper cups that work well too, but there is that pride in ownership thing, and for $30, it's just not that expensive. It seems it next to the $10 cup you can buy on Amazon but it's like .60 cents a week for a year. 

If you like listening to radio, instead of buying some $50 unit from Walmart, maybe invest in a Tivoli or Sangean. Yes, they're more money up front but if you enjoy owning it, and enjoy the 'enhanced' experience in owning it, it's worth investing in something that you're going to own for at least several years. 

And it's not always a situation in having to spend more money. I've said before that a good cast iron frying pan is about the same cost as a cheap non-stick. And that might not really be apples to apples to you, but if you're like me, having spent that $20 on a pan that will last me a lifetime is much more satisfying than having spent it on a cheap pan I'll replace in a few years. 

If you like good teas but can't afford to spend the money on them, buy a small package and treat yourself occasionally. Maybe occasionally treat yourself to a nice meal. And if a nice meal is too expensive, a nice lunch, an amazing breakfast, or even stop in to a great coffee shop and enjoy a luxurious coffee and baked good. 

The point is, in our day to day lives, we all deserve to splurge once in a while on things that give us enjoyment, pleasure, contentment. 

Comments

Popular Posts